Hello, friends! Over the past few years there have been many new specializations: telemarketer, SEO-specialist, graphic editor. In this article I will tell you what the profession of graphic designer is.
Description of the profession
Graphic editor is a person whose professional sphere is connected with the search of visual solutions in the part of urban environment design (advertising posters, billboards, pointers), stylizes printing materials (magazines, newspapers, books), and also works in virtual space, creating a brand of commercial goods or firms (logos, branded fonts).
This profession became very popular after the beginning of development of marketing culture, blogging.
A person who plans to engage in graphic design should have the following personal characteristics:
- Have a good sense of style and taste in terms of interior and exterior design;
- Think outside the templates, be able to find a way out of difficult situations and deadlines;
- Understand how objects in space should look like;
- Be able to express your imagination on paper in the form of sketches;
- To have special education and design knowledge/skills;
- Have a sufficient amount of knowledge in the field of working with computer programs for designers.
What does a graphic designer do?
Graphic designera involves expressing a creative impulse in a tangible form. The most important thing is to find the right direction and the necessary niche for the application of talents. Depending on the areas that have different characteristics, a graphic designer must have certain skills:
- If he works in the printing industry, his duties will include the creation of printed matter, labels, design for various posters, variations of posters.
- In the field of Internet technologies, his job duties include adjusting the type of sites to promote services / works from customers, as well as attracting the attention of buyers to advertising campaigns. He can also deal with the design of the schedule to increase the attendance of the site, etc.
- Work in the fashion industry involves the creation of sketches of clothes models and their translation into a virtual shell (from paper to computer screen). He will also be engaged in graphic design of interior items, various things that are used in everyday life.
- Activities aimed at creating the design of the premises, taking into account the peculiarities of the building, preferences of clients, fashion trends.
- Work on the design of the landscape. This includes creating an aesthetic appearance of the exterior outside of the building.
- Work in the sphere of branding assumes development of individual appearance of the goods in which specificity of the company – the customer (polygraphic production, packing, souvenirs and other) is reflected.
- Marketing. This includes close cooperation with the marketing department of the company to form a selling advertising concept.
Where to get an education?
To become a professional in this field, a person who has chosen this specialization must undergo appropriate training.
In today’s market for educational services there is a large number of training programs, trainings, courses and seminars.
We do not recommend to concentrate on one approach, but rather to try to combine and learn in different directions and schools. This way you can increase your chances of getting a dream job.
There are several ways to get this specialty:
- Home schooling. You will have at your disposal all the necessary profile literature, computer programs, as well as technical resources, with the help of which you can get the necessary knowledge and spend the minimum amount of money.
- Various courses. It will take you at least six weeks to complete the courses. These programs are offered by a variety of design organizations and higher education institutions. You can study full-time or remotely. You can get the necessary knowledge in graphic design, and students will be given answers to questions and ways to get high-paying orders.
- Participation in the workshops involves practical knowledge of design, as well as to reduce possible gaps in knowledge. Many of them are free of charge.
- Studying in art schools. This way is chosen by those who dream of a profession starting with the school bench. Also, this way of education can be chosen by people who do not know how to draw, but want to learn to draw, to improve the technique.
- Training in professional institutions (technical school, college, school). Here you can get the basis for work in the chosen direction.
- Training in higher educational institutions (for example, Moscow Stroganov Academy, British Higher School of Design, etc.). The educational process lasts for at least six years, during which students gain valuable knowledge and skills.
It should be taken into account that when looking for a job, the customer will impose requirements on the applicant in terms of availability of higher education. Therefore, the need for a diploma in this specialization is mandatory.
The pros and cons of the profession
The advantages of working as a graphic designer are highlighted:
- Increased interest in employees from companies of various directions (for creation of signboards, design of printed materials, etc.);
- Fantasy expression in “nature”;
- Space for work (improvement of both the interior of the room and the exterior of the building).
- Decent salary.
Despite heightened interest from the outside young people in this field, the profession has a number of drawbacks. Among them are the following:
- High level of competition among applicants;
- A long learning process, as well as the need for continuous professional development, various seminars, trainings, etc.
As can be seen, the advantages of this area of work are sufficient. The most important thing is to be able to establish oneself in the market, to gain relevant experience and have the courage to embody one’s grandiose fantasies.